Street Motorcycles and Parts Discussion, Questions and answers that pertain to street motorcycles and parts can be found in this forum.

Bagless Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 01:01 PM
New To BikerForums

Default Bagless Road King

Hello out there.

I would like to know if anyone has ever made the Road King look good without the saddle bags? Can all that nasty hardware be either cleaned up or completely removed? I realize the shock will have to stay but the other bits will have to be delt with. Anyone ever try something like this? I would like to still be able to use the bags for long hauls but some wrenching to do so is o.k.

Cheers,

King Nine
Old 03-05-2004, 01:11 PM

I saw a King once that had the bags removed, and the shocks had been chromed.....It looked pretty cool that way to me.

FBR
Old 03-05-2004, 03:57 PM
motorcyclist

If you succeed in removing the bags and cleaning up the tail section post some pictures I'd be interested to see the outcome.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:34 AM
New To BikerForums

It looks like you could do it. The only tricky thing appears to be the hanging of the exhaust pipes. The horizontal chrome bracket that follows the edge of the fender from the top of the fender down to the exhaust system could be removed. It could possibly be put on the INSIDE of the fender or if you could create a bracket that goes across the lower trailing edge of the fender once again on the inside (there is a sheet metal bracket there now but it would have to be beefed up to take the load of the exhaust system) that would allow you to hang the exhaust without that nasty bracket, this would clean up the back of the bike considerably - you would be halfway home. The shocks in side view are very sympathetic to the fender, so a little chrome should do the trick with them. The plastic covers just below the seat will also need some attention. In side view the trailing edge does not work with the shock. It will need to be trimmed or reshaped or removed altogether.

Anyone else have any ideas?

King Nine
Old 03-08-2004, 07:15 AM
Biker

If you run pipes like on the RK in this attached pic that will solve the problem of mounting the pipes to the bottom of the bag support. But without the bag support, how will you keep the bags from swinging in toward the bike at the bottom? Also in this pic you'll notice he has a different side cover, not sure if all police bikes come with it, but it will solve the issue of the one you have that doesn't look good when the bags are removed. You'll also have to clean up the disk brake area. That huge hulking aluminum mount is nasty looking. Maybe drill a bunch of holes in it and polish it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rk-apes.jpg (91.9 KB, 1221 views)
Old 03-08-2004, 07:46 AM
New To BikerForums

WooHoo,

Thanks for the reply. Although the pipes in your pic do look good and solve the problem I would like to use longer pipes - visually they put the bike down on the ground, the bike will appear lower, which is what I'm after.

Good point on the side cover, I will look into it. A friend of mine just bought a Police RK. I'll check it out.

As far as the floppy bag issue goes. I have no need for them on 90% of my rides. If I do need them for muti-day cross country rides, I'll just put them back on with the original hardware if possible.

Still would like to see a pic of a RK without the bags. Any takers?

King Nine
Old 03-14-2004, 12:21 PM
New To BikerForums

Default bagless Kings

King Nine,

I saw this on ebay... I am not the seller and have nothing to do with it... hope it helps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Stay safe
Sglide
2002 FLHRI FFSE

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/sgli...13.1890534.jpg
Old 03-15-2004, 06:53 AM
New To BikerForums

Sglide,

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Cheers,

King Nine
Old 03-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Biker

I'd beware of that kit. My top rail along the fender has so much stuff bolted to it (docking kits) that there is no way that would be a quick swap back and forth from bagger to bagless.

also, and maybe this is just me, but I don't think the RK looks good w/o the bags and that long bracket attached to the descending portion of the fender. Know what I mean? It still looks like something is missing. In order to do it right, I think the RK needs a total custom approach; new fender, rails, side cover, exhaust, brake caliper, suspension etc.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:16 PM
New To BikerForums

WooHoo,

I agree, see my second post above.

Cheers,

King Nine
Old 03-16-2004, 05:16 AM
Biker

also, and maybe this is just me, but I don't think the RK looks good w/o the bags and that long bracket attached to the descending portion of the fender.
I wondered if it was just me, but I agree that looks awful.

-John
Old 03-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Doc
New To BikerForums

I know Im making mine bagless, but the swap will definately be something that is detailed and not "quick change" type of thing. Its going to be a project that will involve a lot of planning and changes to be made.

The long dual pipes and all the additional hardware associated with the exhaust mounts and bag mounts are an eyesore when the bags are off. And the dual side exhaust pipes are awful to look at from behind. And for sure, all of the bag and pipes hardware needs to be removed before you can effectively clean up the look of the rear.

I do like the Corbin side covers. For the swap, they are a necessity. But chrome shocks (or covers if they are quality), a polished rotor, polished sprocket, caliper bolt kit and many other things are needed to brighten up the rear. Im not even sure if they make a chromed belt guard either. I will be changing fenders anyway (Taildraggers..but hey, I like em), so Im not having to worry about filling factory holes when the parts are removed.

And for exhaust, a single side, transmission mounted set up is needed. One choice are Bub Stubbies for short pipes, but I cant find a map for them as of yet. Two others are from Vance & Hines. Either the 2 into 1 Pro Pipe or the Longshots. Both are transmission mounted.

Anyway, Im still in the beginning stages of my design, but have gotten deep into the idea. A few custom mods are needed, and I know that when I decide to ride either bagged or bagless, the change over will be extensive in one way, but I plan on trying create a custom swap over kit or at least kit list while doing this. But the downside will be that it will be invilved and not for those who dont want to take the time to do it.

Road Kings are awesome bikes, but there just isnt too many custom parts and such for them. Time for us riders to make em ourselves.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:43 PM
biker

You got to have someone to go get the beer.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:14 AM
New To BikerForums

Doc,

Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck Doc!

King Nine
Old 03-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Doc
New To BikerForums

Thanks, luck is always good to have.

I am liking the swap, and I forgot to mention since mine is EFI, that using the PowerCommander III makes this really easy to do, since the pipe swap can be made so much easier by changing ECM maps. I had SE duals and a Stage 1 done, so I have a nice base to start with. And changing the exhaust and using the PCIII makes for a quick change without a trip to the dealer for a dyno.

I'll be sure to itemize it all and see if this can be put into kit form.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 PM
New To BikerForums

Hey Dude,
Just browsing and I know it was about two years ago that you asked about this; BUT:
Have you ever heard of sportskirts?
Check it out at www.sportskirts.com
Old 09-23-2006, 06:42 AM
motorcyclist

Unfortuneatly I don't have the site handy but I have seen ads for skirts that fit on after you takes bags off to dress up the back of the bike. Chrome shocks are available and there are kits to eliminate the bag protector bars. Hope this helps. I've seen pictures of this and it looks good but I don't know what I'd do without my bags for all I carry. Good luck
Old 09-23-2006, 08:09 AM
motorcyclist

Check out www.sportskirts.com
Old 11-16-2015, 12:33 PM

Default I have started this project

I removed the bags and hardware. I went to a 2 into 1 exhaust system, ended up cutting the back part of the exhaust system bracket. I am now putting a 21 inch front tire on and searching for something to cover the shocks with. Will post some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Bagless Road King-1995-harley.jpg  

Last edited by Ramsey Razik; 11-16-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:39 AM

Talking Road king

Road King doesn't seem to be the king without those bags
bags= crown
Old 09-20-2019, 11:15 AM

Default Thinking of stripping down.

Facebook Post

This Facebook post should show the embedded content.