Performance Tips and Shop Talk Performance and modification projects - Projects for every kind of bike.

Mellowed Pipes

Old 03-18-2007, 07:02 AM
  #1  
New To BikerForums
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Default Mellowed Pipes

I just bought a set of Vance and Hines Slash-cut Classic II and they sound awesome!
My riding buddy bought the same about a year ago for his ride. In comparison, his pipes seem to have mellowed quite a bit, but we remember that his had that "pop" way back when they were new. Now we agree that perhaps his pipes have mellowed too much and we are wondering if anyone might know a trick to get back to (or nearly back to) that new pipe sound.
Any ideas?
kg4boe is offline  
Old 03-18-2007, 04:37 PM
  #2  
Biker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 67
Default Pipe noise.

Originally Posted by kg4boe View Post
I just bought a set of Vance and Hines Slash-cut Classic II and they sound awesome!
My riding buddy bought the same about a year ago for his ride. In comparison, his pipes seem to have mellowed quite a bit, but we remember that his had that "pop" way back when they were new. Now we agree that perhaps his pipes have mellowed too much and we are wondering if anyone might know a trick to get back to (or nearly back to) that new pipe sound.
Any ideas?
To get the sound back is very easy. What has happened is carbon build up. The best way of doing this is to remove the pipes and pour gas in them and light them. You need to get rid of the carbon built up in the pipes, or you could do it the hard way and try and poke it out. Stand way back if you are going to use the gas effect. Dont use too much gas as you wont need much.

Has your buddy got the same bike as you? If his bikes different then the noise would not match yours (different engines / different noises).

Borg.
borg is offline  
Old 03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
  #3  
Biker
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
Default

/\good info
teggy182 is offline  
Old 03-19-2007, 12:05 AM
  #4  
Biker
 
KingNothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by borg View Post
To get the sound back is very easy. What has happened is carbon build up. The best way of doing this is to remove the pipes and pour gas in them and light them. You need to get rid of the carbon built up in the pipes, or you could do it the hard way and try and poke it out. Stand way back if you are going to use the gas effect. Dont use too much gas as you wont need much.

Has your buddy got the same bike as you? If his bikes different then the noise would not match yours (different engines / different noises).

Borg.
That gas trick sounds mighty fun...when/if i get my bike i hope carbon builds up fast so i can try it! but before i get hopes up it doesnt damage the pipes does it?
KingNothing is offline  
Old 03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
  #5  
Biker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 67
Default Pipes will be fine.

Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
That gas trick sounds mighty fun...when/if i get my bike i hope carbon builds up fast so i can try it! but before i get hopes up it doesnt damage the pipes does it?
Don't put too much gas in the pipes as you'll have a home made flame thrower! It wont do the pipes any harm as your pipes heat up alot more when driving. Just stand back incase you over do it with the gas.

Borg.
borg is offline  
Old 03-19-2007, 09:30 PM
  #6  
Biker
 
KingNothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by borg View Post
Don't put too much gas in the pipes as you'll have a home made flame thrower! It wont do the pipes any harm as your pipes heat up alot more when driving. Just stand back incase you over do it with the gas.

Borg.
Ok thanks, that makes sense when i look at the videos on youtube and such of people shooting flames out of the back of their bikes exhaust pipes.
KingNothing is offline  
Old 01-23-2011, 05:35 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 13
Default Forex Signals

Very interesting thread here
forexforx is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
brokenleg
Street Motorcycles and Parts
0
09-29-2006 08:19 PM
tekman
Advertiser Offers
2
11-22-2005 06:14 AM
RapidoRaptor
Street Motorcycles and Parts
5
10-22-2004 10:19 AM
Tom
Street Motorcycles and Parts
3
09-10-2004 03:30 AM
650l
Street Motorcycles and Parts
1
04-14-2003 04:50 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mellowed Pipes


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.